Tuesday 9 April 2013

Ramen: the Japanese Kebab


Over the weekend I hit one of the latest ramen joints to pop up in Soho. Having tried to gain access to the famed Bone Daddies before and giving up on the queue due to my rumbling stomach, I decided to try it out near opening time on Sunday.

To my surprise my friend and I got a table no problem. The deal with this type of ramen apparently is all around the slow-cooked stock they use to flavour the ramen (up to 2 days I think). I opted for Tantanmen. A slow-cooked chicken stock base, with chilli, ramen noodles, pork mince, a slow cooked egg and a bok-choi. After eating it I realise the bok-choi was a limp gesture towards health.


In my head it was going to be relatively healthy. I mean c'mon it's Japanese! I was then confronted with this oily bowl of tastiness. Now don't get me wrong it was delicious, but the combination of copious chilli oil and the very fatty stock was too much. Too the point I left a good bit without guilt. It almost tasted like a rich Italian ragu made with extra extra lardo.

Later that evening, when researching this dish to try and track the day's calories I discovered in Japan, apparently this sort of ramen is the equivalent to a greasy dirty kebab after a night out, bleugh.

Damage
800 calories maybe more and some hardened arteries.

Verdict
Delicious, but waaaaaay too rich. Sorry Bone Daddies you can ram your ramen on a Sunday. I'll be sticking to an Ottolenghi brunch, or more likely a hangover...



No comments:

Post a Comment